Friday, July 07, 2006

Posture

What is our posture toward the world?

Holier than thou?

Just do it, right along with the rest?

Or is there a way that would better shine Jesus to the world. I have been challenged to posture myself with those around me who are not followers of Jesus differently. I want to love them unconditionally as Jesus would and not make them conform to my way of life just to be around me. I want to become a part of their life and have the right to show them the sacred that is a part of their life, the God that has been there all along. To insist that they must act a certain way, look a certain way, or talk a certain way just to be around me is no way to share the all loving God with them. The act, look, talk comes later and is called discipleship. But even then I think I have gone overboard because if we become so different from those around us they will not want to be around us at all. Totally quelling our attempts to love them and reach out to them in true community. This is a huge challenge because I also want to stand for what IS right and what IS true. But love seems to be impossible with out grace AND truth.

As I remember it is commanded we be "in" the world but not "of" the world.

What a layered and complicated command!

No comments: