Friday, August 19, 2005

The Connecting Church

I have recently been really challenged to help my chruch see the need for true community. I am wondering if anyone has seen a great example of a chruch that "Get's it" a place that is biger than a few hunderd and yet has broken themself down enough to truly have families and individuals living life together? I am trying to think through what this might look like in my local context. I am not sure if it is even possible here but I pray it is and I pray God might use me to iniciate that change. It is a huge task to try and help a very "Modern" chruch see the need and to let go of all the sacrid cows to move forward in a way that will truly be powerful. Any help would be great!

1 comment:

David Malouf -- said...

Bob Wade is now at Highlands Church (www.highlandschurch.org) and is taking them in the direction of regional communities that have sub-regional small-groups.

Nonetheless, may I challenge your paradigm with the following...

You say "biger than a few hundred yet has broken themself down enough..." I would propose you are limiting your potential future by saying "broken down." Try to let size NOT be an issue, that is, perhaps there are ways, methods, cultures, environments, practices, points-of-view, etc. that are not break-down. What about ebb-and-flow or situational or expansive or frighteningly transparent or never-bigger-than-a-few-hundred.

I assume you are thinking in the context of your local church, and I applaud this loudly (clap clap clap). But perhaps a variant model will shed light on your current situation? Or maybe it will draw you away . . .